Monday, April 19, 2010

145th commemoration of the surrender at bennett place: part one

This past weekend, I completed my first photo assignment for the Durham Convention & Visitors Bureau!  I had SO much fun, and my sister, Leanna, and our friend, Rebekah, came with me, which made it a blast!  This year was the 145th anniversary of General Johnston's surrender to General Sherman at Bennett Farm, which was one of three separate surrenders at the end of the Civil War.  They had a mock meeting between the two generals running every twenty minutes, Union and Confederate horses you could pet, and soldiers from both sides who were really fun to talk to!  (Some of us enjoyed them more than others... Rebekah almost took one home.  You'll see him below.)  I definitely recommend taking your family, especially if the weather is nice.  Even the non-history enthusiast would love it!







I love this little red-headed girl... she's so precious!





And this is my gorgeous friend, Rebekah!  She was planning to yell, "The South will rise again!"  But to my disappointment, she didn't.



General Sherman in the terms of surrender meeting







Meet Randy... the Confederate soldier Rebekah almost took home.  He didn't tell us his name there, but Rebekah is really good at facebook. ;)













And this is Randy's friend, Philip.  Don't worry, we found out his name the organic way.





Come back later this week for part two and a few from the Durham Art Walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment